糟糕!! Zao Gao: Taiwan, ICLP and You

A blog devoted to all things ICLP students might think is interesting and some Taiwan stuff thrown in...Not spell-checked since 2006!

Thursday, November 02, 2006

ARC and Visas: The Good, Bad, and the Ugly

This post is for stories about ARC and sundry quests for visas in the ROC.

My fave was when the mean little strumpet behind the counter, apparently unsatisfied with the contents of my bank account, handed me a list of requirements. There were ten or eleven of them, including the one she had just handwritten in at the bottom. It was like a Monty Python skit. I had to write an essay about why I wanted to live in Taiwan, and when I returned the next day with a typed, proofread essay that cost me much sleep, she scowled and made me write it by hand right then and there. At least they didn't make me dance.
-----------------
Pronunciation is so important. Just ask WangLeeHom.
-----------------
By the way, love the new slogan: "What a Fancy Taiwan! Write the Fancy!" Stay Fancy, Taiwan.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger 凱珊 said…

    Poor LeeHom!

    Speaking of Leehom, the Thai restaurant where I ate dinner tonight played one of his songs on the sound system. I sang along and my friend laughed at me.

    Anyway, the visa thing--
    My big advice is to make sure that the letter ICLP gives you doesn't mention the last day of classes. Make sure they give you some fudge time. My letter said both "please let this girl stay in the country until the end of August" and "the last day of the semester is August 11th". When did my visa end? On August 11th. ICLP swore that they'd fix the problem- make sure that they have.

    They accepted my written essay on why I wanted to stay in Taiwan but gave me crap about my proof of financial stability (or whatever they called it). I never opened a Taiwanese bank account. They made me show an account statement for my American bank, and an atm receipt, and the atm card that I used, and I still had to spend some time convincing them that everything matched and constituted proof that I had money.

    Good luck!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home